On Death and Dying
03 September 2013
In October 2000 my uncle, the only paternal uncle, died. We siblings called him Chan (our abbreviation for Chacha Jan) and some of my best childhood memories are associated with him. His death, naturally, had a very profound effect on me. That was the first time I actually thought of death and dying and that one day I too shall go into the long night. To be truthful, until then I had looked upon myself as indestructible and immortal.
posted by Salman Rashid @ 12:00 AM,
- At September 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Sajini Chandrasekera said...
Death is common to all living beings and when you loose some one dear to you it is obvious that you want to die with them and end all pain. What matters is not dying or counting the days but to live the life to fullest and when you reach the end of the road you can turn back a be happy of the life you lived ..
- At September 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Deb Sistrunk said...
Wow. The imagery is powerful.
- At September 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Nayyar Julian said...
This is serious. Very serious.
- At September 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM, said...
"Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see."
~ Helen Keller
Cummon, Salman Sb!
- At September 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM, said...
Okay ... I seriously need to watch this space now ;-)
- At September 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Kaptain Korner said...
Very heart rendering Salman Sahab. Death is just one chapter to an unlimited avenue of possibilities..!!
- At September 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Nayyar Julian said...
But your work will live for a long time.
- At September 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Salman Rashid said...
Thank you all, good folks, for your kind observations. But please don't watch this space for an obituary. I have no plans to go just yet. It was the British PM, Lord Palmerston who said, 'Die, my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!' I want to follow Palmerston. Until then, I will carry on as I always have: living life to the hilt.
- At September 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM, srikanth major said...
Links to this post: