Salman Rashid

Travel writer, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society

Deosai: Land of the Giant

Bookmark and Share

I had dreamed of being on Deosai since 1984. Eventually got there in the summer of 1990. It was every bit like the descriptions I had read in 19th century travel and exploration literature: a vast open treeless expanse rolling in every direction until it ran into the rocky crags on its periphery. I was hooked. Thereafter I returned several times, mainly to be with the Himalayan Wildlife Foundation team working on the conservation of bears and other wildlife.

The text of this book was written in 2004. But never having considered myself a real photographer, I waited and waited and waited for the photography to materialise. Eventually my friend Nadeem Khawar, the well-known nature and wildlife photographer, who I call Guru, agreed to spend three months on Deosai. That was the summer of 2010 and Nadeem came back with the most priceless imagery ever.


I have attempted to tell the history and fable of this place whose history is until now unknown to the common person. As well as that, the bears which are the plateau’s signature species and have long been under great threat, are focused on.

If you ever wondered what the name Deosai means, you have to read the book. Although it is another thing that since I devised the title Land of the Giant, it has been used by others without so much as a thank you. As for the photography, I have to admit that my text is completely overshadowed by Guru’s work.

A lively smile and bright colours symbolise the spirit of Baltistan

My gratitude for Sang e Meel who are publishing this work is, as always, immense. Many thanks to M/s Niaz Ahmad, Afzaal and Ali Kamran. And of course a thank you to Aamir Ali who produced this eye-catching design.

Note: 'Deosai: Land of the Giant' is now available at Sang e Meel  [042-3722-0100].

Related: Other Books

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Salman Rashid @ 21:14,

23 Comments:

At 13 September 2013 at 22:15, Anonymous Saima Ashraf said...

Anyone stop Salman Rashid.......
Anyways congrats Salman............Title says I must read it if anyone buys it for me......Very good job indeed.

 
At 14 September 2013 at 08:15, Anonymous Kausar Bilal said...

Congrats Salman for your new milestone!
Wish to read your books when life permits...

 
At 14 September 2013 at 11:13, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats Salman. It is always a dream for a writer to publish his own book and if I can I will surely get hold of this a read it....

 
At 14 September 2013 at 11:26, Anonymous Memoona Saqlain Rizvi said...

Congratulations and thank you for enriching our lives once again. When and where to buy it? Am asking as I found The Apricot Road to Yarkund at LLF.

 
At 14 September 2013 at 12:17, Blogger Lahoremassagist said...

Congratulation sir on your ninth book.

 
At 14 September 2013 at 12:34, Anonymous Ramla said...

Ok. This goes in my 'good books.'

 
At 14 September 2013 at 13:16, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Thank you very much, everyone. The book will be available at Sang e Meel (042-3722-0100) as soon as it comes out early in October. There are few people in Pakistan who read - and fewer yet who read English. So, you, good people, are the Chosen Ones. Bless you.

 
At 14 September 2013 at 13:17, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

By the way, Wait till you see the photography by Nadeem Khawar. You'll forget the text. I promise you that.

 
At 15 September 2013 at 16:19, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, dear Salman bhai. May you continue to write! To enrich the travel-literature with your focussed & deftly crafted words! - Vinay Gakkhar

 
At 16 September 2013 at 07:34, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Vinay Bhai! Great to reconnect with you. Thank you very much.

 
At 18 September 2013 at 09:35, Anonymous Tariq Malik said...

Waiting for the "treat" as it becomes due. In October, did you say? :)

 
At 10 November 2013 at 16:48, Blogger Lol said...

can a common low paid avid reader have a chance of affording a reading habit?

 
At 10 November 2013 at 16:49, Blogger Lol said...

job well done but it should be accessible to students too

 
At 21 November 2013 at 14:48, Blogger Unknown said...

Must get this asap Insha Allah !

 
At 11 December 2013 at 17:11, Blogger shaukat ali eshai said...

Sir,you would not believe it took me two weeks to get this book,I live in Murree so the problem.Finally I have this book,I have not read it yet the pictures have blown me I cant wait to start reading.Congratulations to you and to Mr.Khawer.Sir all I can say at the moment its ZABARDAST.Thank you for this wonderful gift.
Shaukat Ali Eshai.

 
At 11 December 2013 at 17:12, Blogger shaukat ali eshai said...

Sir,you would not believe it took me two weeks to get this book,I live in Murree so the problem.Finally I have this book,I have not read it yet the pictures have blown me I cant wait to start reading.Congratulations to you and to Mr.Khawer.Sir all I can say at the moment its ZABARDAST.Thank you for this wonderful gift.
Shaukat Ali Eshai.

 
At 11 December 2013 at 18:23, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Thank you, Shaukat Ali Eshai. I am very glad you approve of my dear friend Nadeem's work.

 
At 12 December 2013 at 12:34, Blogger shaukat ali eshai said...

Finally I have read the book.Sad to know about the attitude of the local communities and the mismanagement of wild life department.
Both of you gentlemen have done justice to Deosai.
Your balanced writing covering all aspects and Nadeem Khawer's breathtaking photographs has made this book a Jewel of Deosai.
Well done gentlemen,I expect more Jewels from you both.
Wishing you both the very best.

 
At 12 December 2013 at 12:35, Blogger shaukat ali eshai said...

Finally I have read the book.Sad to know about the attitude of the local communities and the mismanagement of wild life department.
Both of you gentlemen have done justice to Deosai.
Your balanced writing covering all aspects and Nadeem Khawer's breathtaking photographs has made this book a Jewel of Deosai.
Well done gentlemen,I expect more Jewels from you both.
Wishing you both the very best.

 
At 12 December 2013 at 13:56, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Thank you. You are very kind. And this is a very good review from you.

 
At 3 July 2015 at 14:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,

The book look interesting and love you blog so much.. as i love traveling, I've wondering if the book is published in Malaysia

Jordao

 
At 2 February 2022 at 08:55, Blogger beena sarwar said...

Amazing work Salman.

 
At 2 February 2022 at 19:45, Blogger Salman Rashid said...

Thanks a lot, Beens. The photographs in the book are all by Nadeem Khawar whom I call Guru.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




My Books

Deosai: Land of the Gaint - New

The Apricot Road to Yarkand


Jhelum: City of the Vitasta

Sea Monsters and the Sun God: Travels in Pakistan

Salt Range and Potohar Plateau

Prisoner on a Bus: Travel Through Pakistan

Between Two Burrs on the Map: Travels in Northern Pakistan

Gujranwala: The Glory That Was

Riders on the Wind

Books at Sang-e-Meel

Books of Days