Salman Rashid

Travel writer, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society

…because we don’t do these things

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday morning. 10:10. I halted at a traffic signal in Jauhar Town, Lahore. Noticed a young man on the footpath turn suddenly around mid-stride, stoop and collect a banana peel to deposit it in a nearby rubbish bin. I was dumbfounded. We are Pakistanis and we don’t do these things. Even for a person as cynical as I have become over the years, this was a bright light in a rather dark night.


I kept my eye on the man walking away, now across the road, willing the light to turn so that I could catch him. The light turned but by the time I parked my car, the man had disappeared. I had no face to go by, having seen only his walk. All I knew was a gait and that was not much to recognise a person by.

Thursday. 10:10. I returned to the same crossing. I spotted a young man with an unknown face but a familiar step. I waited for him to go past me to be certain it was the same walk I had seen yesterday. Then I caught up with him and said I had to ask something. With the keenness of a naturally obliging person he said, “Yes, certainly, sir.”

My question rattled him a bit but he confirmed that he did walk past the crossing daily at the same time and that he had indeed collected a banana peel to put in the rubbish bin. He was on his way to work so setting up a meeting for the evening, we left it at that.

Arif Hussain was born in Mirpur Khas in 1992. His father, a college professor then, taught in that town in southern Sindh. The family originally hails from Basho, a village not far from Skardu from where Arif’s father moved to Sindh. Upon retirement, the professor relocated to Lahore where he built a home for his family. The umbilical remains connected with Baltistan where the family returns periodically to see the folks back home.

Arif said in Baltistan, as they went their way, they routinely removed unwanted litter from roads and pathways. He just did what he had always seen being done.

Arif did not study beyond the tenth grade. His heart, he says, was simply not in studies. Though it was distressing for an educationist father, Arif remained fixed on not following the usual convention of college degrees and a regular job. For that, he says, his brother is making up for him by working for an MBA leaving him to follow his heart. And, Arif’s heart rests in becoming a chef.

With his eyes on eventually taking a chef’s course with College of Tourism and Hotel Management, Arif joined a restaurant as a kitchen helper. He focuses on continental and Chinese cooking and wants to train in these specialities at the college. He was on his way to work from his home nearby when I spotted him removing the discarded banana peel to where it belonged.

Why would anyone do such a thing, I asked. If his simple act of goodness was surprising, his response was evermore so: “Someone could have slipped on it and been hurt. I removed the peel because I am human.”

Arif said in Baltistan, as they went their way, they routinely removed unwanted litter from roads and pathways. He just did what he had always seen being done. For him it was not an act of kindness for which he ever expected to be thanked and he found my acknowledgment peculiar. Indeed, in all my years of walking across Baltistan, Hunza, Gojal, Yasin and Chitral I have on innumerable occasions seen people do this simple act of consideration for fellow wayfarers.

For most of us so-called educated, cultured and worldly-wise folk this was an insignificant act. We who so casually toss our trash out of car windows would consider the act of collecting someone else’s rubbish demeaning. In our mad race for so-called advancement, we are losing our humanity that Arif still possesses.

What I found of singular significance was that not once did this young man say a word about winning brownie points with God. He had done his act of goodness because he was human, he emphasised.

Arif, who sees himself foremost as a human, is an unusual young man. In a society deafeningly strident with hollow proclamations of goodness, he goes about his business without thought for acknowledgement or gratitude. If I had not seen him at it, I would not have believed an Arif Hussain could exist.

Related: Nilofer’s Pakistan and mine  

Labels: ,

posted by Salman Rashid @ 09:41,

12 Comments:

At 23 March 2014 at 12:49, Anonymous Kamran Awan said...

Hats off to Arif. It is my own practice to put aside any banana peels aside (if there isnt any trash bin around). While I do so, I remember the mothers and sisters of the one who threw the peels on the way in a not so decent manner. This always makes me think, we are just a horde of animals, centuries away from being humans, mentally.

 
At 23 March 2014 at 17:32, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Well done, Kamran. We should naturually expect humans to behave like you and young Arif. But alas!

 
At 23 March 2014 at 21:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But why don't we do these things? That is the question.

 
At 24 March 2014 at 09:29, Anonymous Pinky Meher said...

Very honestly Sir... I would never have believed this had this story come from someone else... thank you so much for sharing... Arif is a rare gem... more than human I would say.

 
At 25 March 2014 at 09:39, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Thank you, Pinky. You are obviously a young person and since you appreciate Arif Hussain, you are yourself a good human being. Be like this forever.

 
At 25 March 2014 at 10:53, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Anonymous, this is a question we all need to ask ourselves and answer it by doing the right thing.

 
At 25 March 2014 at 20:36, Blogger afatqiamat said...

.. I am not surprised , I know a few who silently do what they think is right ...... there is this shopkeeper , who sells things and before selling he tells all the pro and cons of products he is selling .......and often he looses the sale , whenever he tells the wrongs of the product ... yet again at the next sale he will do the same ..... undettered or disappointed of loosing another sale... but such people are far and few...I once asked him why ....?? he says loosing a sale is not important the point is maybe someone will get inspired and start doing the same.. that is trading as fairly as possible ..

 
At 26 March 2014 at 06:27, Anonymous Amardeep Singh said...

Need more people like Arif in the entire sub-continent.

 
At 26 March 2014 at 14:44, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Afat Qiamat and Amardeep, it is these good people that make the world go round.

 
At 29 March 2015 at 12:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homes where we come from and scholls where we spend most of our childhood are the primary conditioning places. Little good is coming out from these two institutions except self preservation and social climbing in a bizarre way.

 
At 30 March 2015 at 12:54, Blogger DILIP PATWARDHAN said...

HATS OFF

 
At 30 March 2015 at 14:39, Anonymous Salman Rashid said...

Hats off indeed to this good young man.
And Anonymous you are so right. Our education system fails us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




My Books

Deosai: Land of the Gaint - New

The Apricot Road to Yarkand


Jhelum: City of the Vitasta

Sea Monsters and the Sun God: Travels in Pakistan

Salt Range and Potohar Plateau

Prisoner on a Bus: Travel Through Pakistan

Between Two Burrs on the Map: Travels in Northern Pakistan

Gujranwala: The Glory That Was

Riders on the Wind

Books at Sang-e-Meel

Books of Days