Salman Rashid

Travel writer, Fellow of Royal Geographical Society

My audience

Bookmark and Share

When I began writing three decades ago, my audience actually was the thousands of Western expats living in Pakistan - at least that is what I thought. Until that time, whatever travel writing for native English speakers existed was done by foreigners, and I felt that sometimes the nuance of a Punjabi phrase, or even something said by a Sindhi, Baloch or Pathan was lost in translation. I wanted to pass on the Pakistan of Sindhi, Baloch, Pathan and Punjabi people, real people, to the reader of English.

But whereas my work was then known to most expats, I soon found that a good number of Pakistanis also read it. Now, since we turned an 'insecurity state', there are few expats. There has, moreover, been a decline in the quality of diplomats as well. Time was when consul generals and high commissioners came calling at our home because they wanted to know Pakistan and read my work. A couple of years ago, a friend told me of some woman heading the American Centre at Lahore whose only interest was boutiques and a high class pimp of the old city.

There is no philosophy in my writing, no hidden meanings. I write simply and whoever reads my work, I expect, looks at it with the same spirit I write with.

Labels: , ,

posted by Salman Rashid @ 09:34,

6 Comments:

At 10 April 2013 at 11:00, Anonymous Carol Yates Wilkerson said...

Thank goodness we have the ability to read your works online and can at least connect this way. I know there is much of the world I will never get to see in person. I appreciate so much that you will tell us in your own words the Pakistani point of view of your land.

 
At 10 April 2013 at 13:57, Anonymous Kausar Bilal said...

Very first time I get interested in reading travel writing through this blog of yours. I like the writing style, grabbing attention right from the beginning by painting real pictures of the scenes. If I am given a chance to travel writing, I will be more interested in writing about their regional culture, though now I like visualizing the geography you paint through your blogs. Hope now there is more readership because of this interesting blog.

 
At 10 April 2013 at 15:55, Anonymous Nayyar Julian said...

I read your travels with great interest though your English is hard for many. Thanks for starting in Urdu. Hope more people will be able to read Urdu.

 
At 10 April 2013 at 16:23, Anonymous Lala Ji said...

Reading and writing are two things we don't do as a nation. We are not used to it.

 
At 10 October 2017 at 09:45, Blogger Unknown said...

Allah karay zor e qalam aur ziaada

 
At 10 October 2017 at 14:34, Blogger Salman Rashid said...

Ali Kazmi, you are very kind. And you have run away never to return? Is that it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




My Books

Deosai: Land of the Gaint - New

The Apricot Road to Yarkand


Jhelum: City of the Vitasta

Sea Monsters and the Sun God: Travels in Pakistan

Salt Range and Potohar Plateau

Prisoner on a Bus: Travel Through Pakistan

Between Two Burrs on the Map: Travels in Northern Pakistan

Gujranwala: The Glory That Was

Riders on the Wind

Books at Sang-e-Meel

Books of Days